Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Week Two Assignment - Appeal Factor

Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
Have you ever felt like you knew what emotion your mother was experiencing when she made your dinner? Or perhaps known the 'taste' of tears through the food you were eating? As I read Aimme Bender's novel I felt like I was in a beautiful sad dream that was filled with the strange magic of childhood.

Room by Emma Donoghue
This unusual story, from the perspective of a five-year-old, still stands for me as one of the strangest, compelling stories that I have read. In the background is a mother, a single room and a mysterious visitor. The undercurrent is claustrophobic anxiety. The language is sparse. The tale is haunting and will stay with you for a long time.

6 comments:

  1. Mollie,
    You might enjoy Lovely Bones By Alice Sebold
    It is the story of a teenage girl who, after being murdered watches as her family deals wiht the events after her death.

    Also try : The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
    The story revolves around teenager newly released from the foster are system. Her talent for understanding flowers helps her establish herself in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah.
    I did enjoy Lovely Bones (although it was strange in a good way) but I have not read the Language of Flowers. It sounds really good.
    I love the idea of trying to understand the world through funderstanding flowers. Good suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mollie,

    You also might enjoy "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel. Set in Mexico at the turn of the 19th century, it has the same type of descriptive writing style as "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" and the magical realism that stems from food and cooking. I really loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. You are right! I did enjoy 'Like Water for Chocolate' for all the reasons that you suggested.

      Delete
  4. I'm reading Emma Donoghue's Astray right now and loving it! I'll have to add Room to my TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate
      Let me know what you think of Room. It was strange.... a very unusual perspective.

      Delete